Wind (current)

Sept. 7,2006 A Harrier Than Normal Day 114 Day Count,YTD:456


Today was another terrific day! I was joined today by 3 freinds,Terry whom I know from birding at the Leslie Spit,Jean Irons and Eleanor Beagan. Terry could barely tear himself away,to meet his wife and Jean and Eleanor enjoyed a great afternoon of sightings. Thanks to all of you for your help and commradery.
The birds ...oh ya....todays total 114 raptors,was a great surprise,despite less then optimal conditions again. Todays sightings consisted of:

Osprey....................3
Bald Eagle................2
Northern Harrier......31
Sharpshinned Hawk.45
Redtailed Hawk........4
American Kestrel.....28
Peregrine Falcon.......1
Day Total..............114

Year To Date Total 456

At one point we had 5 Northern Harriers and a few Sharpshins in the air at once. The flow of Harriers was great,and many gave fantastic views around and even below eye level. A very close Osprey gave Terry a thrill,and a Jean,Eleanor and I all enjoyed a very close Redtailed Hawk.
We had a very good shorebird,which flew past giving a good view,even if only Jean could ID it. I was glad to have her expertise,as I just watched the bird clueless as to its ID. Hudsonian Godwit,a life bird for me.
Thousands of Monarchs continued to migrate. Here is an attempt at photos. Eventually I will master raptors in flight! Hey at least I got it in frame!

No comments: