Wind (current)

Slow Start..Great Finish 284 Raptors:13 of 15 Species YTD 5297

In the end today,as hoped for,it was another great day of raptor watching. High birds and blue skies were sometimes a challange,but many birds were still in nice and close,and there were a few surprises. The day started slower than I expected,there wasnt a significant upflight,as between 8 and 11am I saw only 18birds. Things began to pick up around then,becoming a terrific day. Things had seemed to slow down for awhile,and I was abit out of gas,so I was going to pack things in at 3pm. Luckily I didnt,and as I was beginning to leave,I spotted 1,then 2,now 3 Redtails. I stopped to see if there were more...oh oh there is a few Turkey Vultures! Now I cant leave. From 3-5pm I saw 127 raptors,the best of which was an Osprey at 4:40pm,which barely cleared the park office I was by now sitting in front of on a bench. In the last part of the day,adding the Osprey and a late Kestrel,again today I saw 13 of 15 usual species,today missing Broadwinged Hawk and Northern Goshawk. I saw a single dark-phased Rough-legged Hawk again today at 1:30pm. Many late in the afternoon Turkey Vultures,made surpassing my best previous season total by 61,with the total now at 434 possible. Todays total included:
Turkey Vulture......................93(new high season 434)
Osprey...................................1
Bald Eagle..............................1
Northern Harrier.....................2
Sharpshinned Hawk..............19
Coopers Hawk.......................4
Red-shouldered Hawk............3
Redtailed Hawk..................156
Roughlegged Hawk.................1
Golden Eagle...........................1
American Kestrel.....................1
Merlin......................................1
Peregrine Falcon......................1
This brings the season total to 5297.
Thousands of Robins and Redwinged Blackbirds flew past in the early morning. At least a dozen Common Loons were seen. Many ducks were seen barely skimming the very calm lake. A few Tree Sparrows were seen.

No comments: