Wind (current)

Oct23 Weather Cleared:Some Good Birds:Day Count 38 YTD 4338

Today,I made the mistake of watching the weather forecast. At 930am it said rain would start up again at 11am so I didnt see the point of rushing over to the park for one clear hour. I went about my day,and started watching the radar on the noon news. With no rain in sight,I walked over to the park arriving about 12:30pm. I learned a few folks had been at the park earlier,so todays count is subject to change if they were able to ID any birds whilst there. On my watch from 12:30pm-3pm,I had some great birds,including 2 first of season Red-shouldered Hawks,which were below eye-level and along the bluffs quite closely,providing the best views Ive ever had at Rosetta McClain Gardens of this specie. Shortly after,the first Rough-legged Hawk passed over the park,at a good level for ID,though somewhat high. With luck the next few days will bring more of each species. Very shortly before 1:15pm,a new raptor watching buddy Brian showed up. He joked(or maybe not? ) that I was under pressure to produce a Golden Eagle for him today,as he'd received a $65 speeding ticket on his way to the park. He says "Ok BIGFRANK where is my Golden Eagle?" and without exaggeration at that very moment I turned,looked towards the lake and saw....a juvenile Golden Eagle on our side of a ridge of trees which goes down the side of the bluffs.The view was brilliant,and Brian was very excited. We could clearly see all of the field markings and enjoyed a close view,while watching the eagle gain serious altitude,eventually going very high and somewhat out over the lake. I told Brian he could go home now . We also saw several Northern Harriers with one great view of a male. It seems there is a young Goshawk sticking around near the park,lately puting in an appearance each day. Todays total of 38 raptors included:
Northern Harrier..................10
Sharpshinned Hawk...............8
Coopers Hawk......................1
Northern Goshawk................2
RedShouldered Hawk............2
Redtailed Hawk.....................8
Roughlegged Hawk................1
Golden Eagle..........................1
American Kestrel....................5
Thanks to Carol for her observations,and I await speaking to Gunner for any further additions to the count.

No comments: