Wind (current)

Sept27,All In The Upflight: 61 Raptors..YTD 2831


Todays count slowed down a great deal after 11am,so most of the birds counted were the"upflight" or birds that spent the night nearby and left early the next morning. Carol and Terry joined me today,and helped pass the slow periods between birds. Of interest today,a Kestrel that landed atop a Spruce tree(pictured) and interaction between 2 Peregrine Falcons. I spotted 2 Peregrines flying together,one harrassing/attacking the other. They went behind a tree,and only one emerged which I watched out of sight along the lakeshore to the west. The "attacker" I lost track of but assumed it had continued on,just evading my sight. Later I saw 2 Peregrines again,this time there was vocalization between the 2,something I always love to hear,as one attacked the other. This time I saw the atackee out of sight again,but saw that the "attacker" went back to a spot further on along the bluffs. Still later in the day I saw what I believe was a Peregrine,some distance out over the lake to the east,eventually making its way back to the distant shoreline. Conclusion:there is a female juvenile Peregrine who has decided to hang out along the top of the bluffs somewhere for awhile. In coming days I will watch closely for more such interactions.
Todays count included:
Osprey..............................2
Northern Harrier................6
Sharpshinned Hawk..........23
Coopers Hawk..................1
American Kestrel..............25
Merlin................................1
Peregrine Falcon................3
With a big day on Friday,when good raptor movement conditions are predicted I will surpass my 2005 Final Count,with 2 months remaining in the count. Lets hope the weatherman gets Friday right!

No comments: